This courgette and basil soup is light and refreshing, perfect for lunch or when you don’t fancy a heavy meal. Basil and garlic give this soup a delicious Mediterranean flavour and the pureed courgette brings a silky texture.
This recipe includes spinach, which is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, C and folate. Spinach also contains coenzyme Q10, and courgettes contain selenium, both of which are detoxifying antioxidants.
Garlic and onions both contain sulphur, which is important for detoxification, sulphur is a sticky molecule and many of the bad things in the body stick onto it.
All the ingredients in this soup combined make this a great, powerfully detoxifying but light meal.
I add a few springs of parsley for an extra boost of green flavour and goodness. Parsley is another vitamin and mineral-packed herb along with basil.
Make sure you use Himalayan salt, it is more natural than table salt, tastes much better and has a higher mineral content.
East Courgette and Basil Soup
- ¾ tbsp avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 675 g 1½ lb courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1.5 litres water bone broth or home-made stock
- 85 g 3oz spinach
- 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- In a medium/large casserole pot, heat the avocado oil over a medium heat then reduce to low heat and add onion and garlic. Cooking on a lower heat avoids the garlic and onion browning. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add courgettes and 500ml water (or stock) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until courgettes are cooked.
- Stir in spinach and basil, and puree using hand immersion blender (or pour into a jug blender). Puree well until all the ingredients are combined. Add remaining water to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and add a few sprigs of parsley before serving.
If you don’t have a hand immersion blender, get one! They are so handy to have in your kitchen for making soups, smoothies or puree’s. I like this one.