This is a deliciously hearty and filling soup containing a variety of detoxifying nutrients, which results in a complete detoxifying and delicious meal.
Garlic and onion are sulphur-containing allium vegetables, sulphur is a sticky molecule and the bad things in the body can stick onto it, including free radicals and toxins. Sulphur-rich foods can also boost glutathione levels, which the liver needs for detoxification.
Kale is a cruciferous vegetable, and these types of vegetables help to stimulate both phase 1 and phase 2 liver detoxification processes. Spinach is a detoxifying antioxidant, containing folic acid and coenzyme Q10, while carrots are high in the antioxidant Vitamin A.
White beans are an excellent source of protein and fibre, and adequate fibre is essential for detoxification as it helps to scrub toxins from the gut.
I suggest using your own homemade bone broth as the stock for this, it adds a much richer flavour and even more health benefits.
Fresh basil along with garlic give this a lovely Mediterranean taste, and the lemon really compliments the earthy greens. Serve hot with a sprig of parsley.
Spinach and White Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 pints homemade chicken broth or Kallo Organic Low Salt Chicken Stock
- 2 cartons cannellini beans (organic)
- 175 grams spinach
- 60 grams kale
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Sauté garlic, onion, celery and carrot in avocado or olive oil on low/medium heat.2. Add broth (or stock) and beans, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 mins3. Stir in spinach and kale and allow to wilt4. Add basil, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper5. Puree using hand blender until smooth